Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Young People: Our Future, Our Inspiration

I know I said this week that I would reflect on my AP blogging assignment some more and provide a plethora of materials for all to share, but that's just going to have to wait.  Something much more urgent has come up, and that is the Malala Yousafzai(Admit it, I'm building the anticipation, too, for learning more about my blogging assignment; I'm sorry to be such a tease!)  Yousafzai is an inspiration, and she's only 15 years old.  She's the age of my Sophomore students.  She has published, and she has spread her passion and stayed firm in her beliefs.  She.  One person.  One single person, a young person, has made a difference.  If you watch this video of her interview on the Daily Show, you will learn that she was wanted dead because she fought for women rights and equal education in Pakistan.  Yes, you read that right: a 15 year old girl is fighting for the right to be educated.  As educators, it's common to feel that our students don't value education like they should.  But that's not true.  There are so many students that do value their education, and those who don't just need to be reminded of why they should value their education.

I urge you to use this interview, use Yousafzai to inspire your students, in a lesson in the near future.  It's current, it's real, it's honest, and it's inspiring.  I truly believe your students will be captivated by her words and empowered, even if only temporary.  It's our right as an educator to remind students why they are in school and constantly show them the value of learning. 

I plan to show this video in class this week.  After the video and a class discussion, I will extend my students knowledge of another culture by having them complete a short webquest where they research Pakistan and Yousafzai and reflect/connect in a journal entry.

Share how else we as educators may use Malala Yousafzai as a lesson in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Like Jon Stewart, I too am a Malala "fan-girl." Diane Sawyer had an amazing 20/20 special with her as well (http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/diane-sawyers-exclusive-interview-malala-yousafzai-airs-starting-20469479). We've gotten to the point in America where many of our students take their easy access to education for granted. Education, in so many countries and especially for women, continues to be a human rights issue. Additionally, here's an amazing article on students who travel to airports to do their homework by the runway lights when the power goes out (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/jul/21/schoolsworldwide.schools). Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this interview with Jon Stewart as well, but I have to admit it never crossed my mind to use it in the classroom! What an inspiring young woman... I am always looking for a way to tie in nonfiction (especially in fiction or poetry units), and it can be hard to find something that is high-interest or speaks to the soul like this would. Thank you for the tip!

    ReplyDelete