Thursday, November 7, 2013

Research: Students Love to Hate it, and They Hate to Love it!

While I love research, most of my students, year after year, loathe the Sophomore English research project.  I see eye rolls; I hear heavy sighs; I experience complete resistance; and serious tension develops between my students and me.  You're probably thinking: so, if you know this to be true every year, what do you do to change it?  I have simplified the project by reinforcing researching and essay writing skills from last year and introducing one new skill to further their writing ability.  It's very important to me that students continue to develop as writers.  Despite simplifying the project, students still hate it.  I get that not every student will love research, but the stubbornness from students is downright frustrating.  How do you help a student that refuses to be helped because they just don't want to complete the project?   

To give you an overview of the Sophomore research project, students select a controversy of their choice to research.  Then they are to do the following:
(1)  After preliminary research, students are to choose one side of the issue and argue it with three main reasons.  
(2)  I provide a graphic organizer to help them establish the basics of the controversy--background information and status quo--and a thesis statement.
                       Sample Thesis Statement: Gay marriage should be legalized in all U.S. states                                                   because (reason 1), (reason 2), and (reason 3).  
(3)  Practice skimming sources for supporting details for each of the three reasons in their thesis statement.
                       ***Each reason paragraph needs to have three supporting detail notecards (nine in total) and                              one opposing detail for each of the three reasons (three in total).  It's important for                                        students to address the opposing argument and refute it.
(4)  Create at least three introduction notecards: attention grabber (they could choose to write their own), background information about the development of the controversy, and status quo.
(5)  Organize notecards and write outline: I provide a template that students simply fill out.
(6)  Provide instruction and models for how to write the paper: focus, organization, development of ideas.
(7)  Draft: teacher graded and peer review
(8)  Final MLA formatting day

For each step of the process, there is ample explanation, modeling, time to work in class, and teacher-student conferencing.  I have the process of this research paper completely organized and chunked so that students feel in control and don't panic; however, students are still not happy with the project.  I will admit--it's not engaging!  How do I make it engaging?!  

Well, I may have found the answer....or my school librarian has found the answer!  Easybib, and not just the free edition, but the school edition.  

Here's what it has to offer:


And here's a nifty video that will walk you through the benefits of Easybib visually.  

Yes, it does cost money, but I really think it may be worth it.  My school hasn't purchased the program yet, but we are for the upcoming school year.  The reason why I like Easybib is because it allows students to use mostly media to conduct research and write their paper.  For example, notecards are written in the program, and they can be neatly organized.  Class materials don't have to be lost ever again!  Now, I don't think students will miraculously love this research project because of Easybib, but I think it may make the process more enjoyable for students. 

What do you all think?  What have your experiences been with the school edition of Easybib?

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, this is pretty cool! I see roadblocks because of the issue of payment, but if I could get my librarian on board, I bet it could happen! Here's my question: would this bother the teachers of the old school who still want the in-hand paper copy of outline, notecards, etc.? And moreover, am I actually one of said teachers??? I don't really know! I've always been a hand-writer, but I think many students are NOT this way, so I could see them really getting on board with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really cool option. I agree that the financial aspect could be a deterrent. I think we could ask students to explore this format as well as traditional formats so they see both sides. Do you think that is feasible or increasing the work load with minimal benefit for the students?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm struggling with my students with research writing in these last few weeks as well! I've actually had five or six honors students break down into tears because they think they can't do it-- even though I've chunked and modeled just as you have. Now that they're starting to draft, and their outlines are being reworked and revised until they start to make sense, they are starting to calm down. However, I think what scares students the most is that even though we give them steps in how to complete the project, there's no right answer and they often have to read things they won't need and come up with arguments they won't use. They want instant gratification, and that is impossible with a research paper.

    In terms of using this EasyBib school site, I think it's a great way to engage students, but what I always worry about with paid programs like this is the ability to transfer skills from high school to college and beyond. I try to teach my students the steps of a research paper in a way that they can take with them (and it highly resembles what I do in my own graduate education!). Do you think that what they do in EasyBib is transferable? (I don't know enough about it to decide one way or another!) Our school has a program called SIRS which spoon-feeds them articles and arguments on controversial issues, but it in no way prepares them for real research... however, that's what we start students with in 9th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley and Cori, I completely agree with you! I am one of those said teachers that does find value in writing out an outline and notecards instead of having a computer program organize it for you. Students need to be able to complete that task on their own in order to write a focused paper in college. There is no guarantee that a university will provide an Easybib tool for students to use. I'm very conflicted. Yes, I want my students to be engaged and I just want them to complete the assignment, but I also want them to truly learn the skills too and be able to use them in their future.....**sigh**....if only students would stop being so resistant!

    ReplyDelete