Sunday, September 29, 2013

Toddlers & Tiaras....SAY WHAT?!

Yup.....you read it right.  This week I am blogging about the TLC reality TV show "Toddlers & Tiaras".  Admit it- you instantly have an opinion about the show or my use of it (that is if you have ever seen the show or heard of it).  Either you rolled your eyes or you let our a little laugh; either way, you reacted, which is exactly what I wanted from my students.  

In order to write effectively, you must have a reaction to elicit a written response.  My Sophomores are embarking on what I call "The Research Journey".  For their research paper, they have to research a controversy and choose one side of the controversy for which they will provide an argument.  I like this paper because they get to choose a controversy of their choice to research, and I get to really teach them how to analyze details and incorporate their own voice into their writing.  

Anyhow, to get my students prepared for researching and arguing for one side of a controversy, I had them watch one episode of "Toddlers & Tiaras".  Their research question was:  Is it appropriate to put a child in a beauty pageant?  While watching the episode, they had to make a T-Chart that examined why children should or should not participate in beauty pageants based on evidence from the show.  We did, however, discuss beforehand that this is reality TV and certain actions are embellished for entertainment, which also leads to a discussion about source credibility.  Using the notes they wrote in their T-Chart, we discuss and answer our research question by turning it into a statement.  

One reason I really like having students watch an episode of "Toddlers & Tiaras" is because it teaches them to read between the lines; students have to analyze the behaviors, actions, etc. in order to come up with evidence.  Unlike some database articles that they will be using as research, some texts will not overtly say, "This is one reason why a child should not be a in a beauty pageant....."  Students need to learn to think critically and formulate their own reasons why people should be in support or against a controversy based on evidence that may not clearly state a reason.  

Another reason why I love showing  Season 4 "Storybook Pageants" of "Toddlers & Tiaras" is because of the rich discussion.  Seriously.  Students become so engaged with the show and have so much evidence that they want to share that is in support and against putting your child in a beauty pageant.  They really build off each others ideas and are passionate about their claims.  Even guys.  My male students are often times more into this episode than my female students.  

Click here to watch the episode I showed my students.  I used Netflix in my classroom, not Amazon, and I could not find this episode on Youtube to post it here.  However, you can watch this episode for free as a trial! 

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! Well you hooked me because I immediately rolled my eyes and then dove right in to reading your blog post. While I don't like the show (hence the eye-rolling), I do see, and agree with, your larger point. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using reality TV is a great way to blend some of the skills you mentioned-- particularly, source credibility and the way that editing, music, etc. can contribute to the manipulation of our emotions and opinions. I've used documentary films before for this purpose, based on ideas from this book by John Golden. We also dove into how to analyze an argument and the different persuasive techniques. The possibilities are endless! I'm glad that you found something so high-interest for your students to use in practicing these skills.

    ReplyDelete